Was Lighting The Cause of The Dubai Hotel Fire?

An electrical short circuit was the reason for the huge fire at The Address Downtown Dubai hotel on New Year’s Eve, forensic experts said on Wednesday.

During a press conference held by Dubai Police it was said that the electric fault occurred in a projector used to illuminate the hotel and that is what had caused the massive flames that broke out.

The blaze started in the cables of one of four projectors on the ledge between the 14th and 15th floors of the 63-storey hotel, according to Ahmad Mohammad Ahmad, Head of the Forensics and Mechanical Engineering Department at the General Department of Forensic Science and Criminology of Dubai Police.  “Experts checked apartment 1504 and came to the conclusion that the fire spread to the unit from the side of the window, which looks onto the pathway and the ledge, and not from inside the apartment,” Mr Ahmed said.

Investigations are continuing to discover if the overheating was due to the luminaire being faulty, or the installation itself.


28 Jan