Technical Editor – IESNA
Remote Location – HQ in New York
The Standards Technical Editor will be responsible for editing IES-generated material for technical correctness and for ensuring consistency and coordination between IES technical documents, and specifically, IES Standards. This position requires a high level of lighting technical knowledge and the ability to accurately describe, in both verbal and written communications, the intent of IES Standards to a broad audience. The position includes technical editing of IES technical, marketing, and educational materials. In addition, this position will provide support to LD+A. Remote employment is available for this position.
- Develop and maintain system to ensure IES document consistency and coordination, including, where appropriate, the development of document templates and organizational tools.
- Provide technical editing services to IES departments for marketing and educational material; ensure that all IES-generated material accurately reflects the wording and/or intent contained within the Standards.
- Review and provide comments to the Technical Director of Standards, Executive Vice President, and the Board of Directors on any Board-initiated technical document, such as Position Statements.
- Responsible for the management and updating of RP-16, Nomenclature and ensuring consistency with this document throughout IES Standards publications.
- Assist Technical Director of Standards with the development of editorial criteria within IES Standards publications, including the IES Handbook and Ready Reference.
- Provide technical review of proposed language used by regulating agencies and/or allied organizations as requested by the Director of Public Policy and/or the Technical Director of Standards.
- Provide editorial support for IES Standards Committees; where necessary, provide initial document setup and outlines for Standards to assist Committees.
- Review Committee-generated Standards prior to Committee approval stage (before moving documents to the TRC and/or Board of Directors), and at pre-publication review to ensure proper terminology consistent with IES definitions; edit for proper syntax and tense, and review formulas for proper symbols and definitions.
- Bachelor’s of Science in lighting, engineering or architectural field
- Minimum 10 years in lighting related industry
- Editorial experience in lighting Standards publications
- Experience in generating documents in accordance with ANSI procedures
- High level efficiency with MS Word, and PowerPoint
- Basic level efficiency with MS Excel
- Database management skill required
- Able to conduct and coordinate online meetings, such as GoToMeeting and Skype
- Must be efficient, organized and resourceful
- Flexible and able to function well in fast-paced environment
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to deal with many personalities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail
- Function as a role model for other staff and work effectively as a team member and team leader; successful communicating and interacting with all levels of management and staff, and volunteer committees.
To apply for this position, please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.