Technical Director, Emergency Lighting – Eaton
Riom, Auvergne, France
Eaton is a power management company with 2014 sales of $22.6 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 102,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. Cooper Safety is a global leader in solutions and technologies designed to save lives and protect property. They are found in the most demanding industrial, residential and commercial environments and offer fire and security detection, traditional and LED illumination, emergency notification, safe electrical installation and escape route communication. For more information, visit www.cooper-safety.com
Eaton’s Safety Business has evolved its engineering team towards a Centre of Excellence model where similar skill sets and development areas are brought together under a single technical leader. This role encompasses the full technical and line management responsibility for the Emergency Lighting SC Centre of Excellence which at present consists of more than 20 engineers and technicians split over sites in France and Greece, and might evolve in future with the potential addition of engineers in other EMEA locations.
The team are primarily engaged in Mechanical, Electronic and associated firmware/software development for Eaton’s wide portfolio of Emergency Lighting Products.
- Actively contributes to product line strategic direction, profit plan goals and continuous organizational improvement.
- Defines innovative product and technology roadmaps In concert with product line managers and business leaders
- Line manages a multi-site engineering team. Build organizational capability through coaching and performance management initiatives and via the selective recruitment of top talent
- Manages the product development cycle on new products from concept to launch, including specification, design, validation, and certification testing using the ProLaunch (phase gate) process.
- Drives design for manufacturability best practices and partner closely with Operations leadership to ensure the smooth introduction of products into manufacture.
- Drives continuous improvement by implementing value add/value engineering (VA/VE) projects to achieve annual cost reduction goals.
- Manages the change control process to ensure that engineering modifications are correctly evaluated and defined prior to implementation.
- Champions process improvements that result in significant reduction in time-to-market and overall improvements in engineering productivity.
- Liaises with National and international regulatory groups (EN, VDS, NF etc.) to ensure that detailed understanding and precise application of the standards is a source of competitive advantage
- Works with the Divisional VP of Engineering and other technical directors to advance innovation and leverage synergies across platforms.
- Manages the intellectual property portfolio for the EL SC platform
- Manage approx. 30 Direct Reports (Engineers and Technicians)
- Manage an engineering budget of approx. $3M
- Highly innovative, disciplined, and results-oriented individual who has the motivation and commitment to succeed in a dynamic, changing environment
- Demonstrable ability to build and develop an effective technology-focused organization
- A full appreciation of the engineering disciplinesassociated with Product Design including Electronic Circuit Design, Firmware/Software design and Mechanical Design
- Experience of full lifecycle management, i.e. taking products through a structured stage gate process from concept through to volume manufacture
- Possess working knowledge of associated electronic standards and test procedures
- A developed and proven technical project management skill set gained in a complex multi-project environment
- Able to demonstrate managing of a multi-disciplined, multi-site development team
- Strong business acumen with potential for career advancement in Eaton
- Ability to interact successfully with other disciplines to seek out solutions to problems
- Strong executive presentation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of standards relating to Life Safety Products would be advantageous
- An Engineering Degree
- Influences virtual teams and dotted line reports.
- International travel requirement up to 10 %
- Strong verbal and written English language skills
- Six sigma green belt (or higher) certification desirable